Monday, October 12, 2009

Sorry Sorry

Heya,
Sorry I've been MIA. We've moved into our fabulous flat and we've no internet until Thursday. Yech. It is hard to live without internet when it's something you're used to!

Lemme start off by saying our place is AMAZING! It can't even be called a flat, really, I believe they call it a 'maisonette.' Essentially, we have a little house. It has three nice bright and white bedrooms upstairs, as well as a 'loo' with an amazing skylight. Downstairs, we have a nice, big living room with hardwood floors and leather sofas and everything. Our living room also has some lovely French doors that open up onto a little deck. Our landlady said she's getting us deck furniture. Sweet! Past the living room, we have a nice sized kitchen with a big dining table and full sized fridge (Which is important ... a few of the places we saw had mini bar fridges! No way!) True to English form, our flat also boasts of a washing machine conveniently located in ... the kitchen. Bizarre, I know. It is very hard to get used to the no dryer thing. Crystal has magically rigged up a clothesline in the 'garden' (located just off our little deck in the back yard) and I've bought a drying rack that appears to be a permanant fixture in our living room. We had a lot of clothes to wash after over a week of hostel life, so hopefully we find a system that works. We are lacking a microwave and a vaccuum, but hopefully our landlady will help us out with this. We've spent enough £££ (aka $$$) on things like dishes and linens, a toaster, kettle, and iron!

We did a massive shop in Ikea on Friday night and it is so cheap here! Ridiculous! I got all my bedding (duvet, cover, pillowcases, etc) for like £15! Less than $30cdn! Ikea is pretty tricky to get to, tho, and required many transportation transfers which proved a bit confusing.

I'm kind of all over the place here, but I have to mention that my amazing friend Kristin and I got to hang out on Wednesday! Kristin is a friend from Lethbridge who married Anthony, who is from the UK. She's been living over here for about 5 years and I stayed with them for a bit the last time I was in the UK. They are the sweetest couple! I met up with Kristin and we dined at a lovely place called 'Pizza Express' which is a huge pizza chain here and is delicious. Please note - if you come to the UK, they do not believe in slicing their pizza, but they DO give you a BUTTER KNIFE to cut and eat it with. Your pointer fingers get a mean workout from pizza eating! Kristin is managing a Lush store so she brought me an amazing package filled with all kinds of bath and body products! YAY for Kristin! My first shower in my new home was incredible thanks to her!

So, we got all moved in and set up on Friday, and on Saturday, we headed down to Trafalgar Square. This is where the Canadian Embassy and the National Gallery are located. We took some pics and explored the area a bit. There is a statue in all 4 corners of the square. There is one corner that always changes. Last time I was in London, it was a sculpture of a nude woman with no arms. This time, it's actual people who get to go up on the podium and do an action of their choice for an hour. They were pre-selected by the 'artist.' It was really neat!

I'm supposed to start work tomorrow, so here's hoping! I have to run for now, but we are getting internet on Thursday so I promise there will be more updates soon! Hope everyone is doing well and had a nice Thanksgiving!

xo Megs

No comments:

Post a Comment