Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm Safe & Sound in London!

Hey Everyone!
I'm safe and sound in London Town! So happy and excited to finally be here, starting my new adventures! We had an amazing flight-Those of you who know me well, know that I DESPISE flying - I'm terrified of it! This flight totally changed my mind set! We flew with Thomas Cook Airlines and it was the smoothes flight I've ever had - two minor bouts of turbulance I can handle! I actually don't feel a fear towards flying at all anymore! Thank Goodness!

Niki came to fetch us from the airport and it was so great to see her! She's my good UK friend that I met in Frnace and we've not seen each other in 3 years! She's amazing! She gave us a lift into London from Gatwick and then took us to our hostel. Our hostel is interesting. Smallest room ever but at least it's PRIVATE! Whoo! Poor Niki has to share a room with some strangers tho :(

After dropping off our luggage at the hostel, I went to meet my employers, Smart Teachers. Apparently, we need to bring our original copies of our Canadian Criminal Record Checks with us! I didn't get this memo so I DON'T HAVE MINE! I can't start work until I have it so after frantic calls to mum and the RCMP, it should be on its way sometime next week. Phew.

After that, my new roomies (Marlee and Crystal, from the Regina, SK area) had a nap at the hostel and Niki and I went and explored Covent Garden - so cute! We saw street performers and wandered around ... finally hit me ... I LIVE IN LONDON! Whoo!

Went to look at phones but was absolutely too knackered with jet lag and time changes to make a decision - I've got my eye on a cute little neon yellow number. Haha.

Went back to the hostel and had a little nap for 2 hrs ... first time sleeping since we left Thursday afternoon, really, as my airplane slumber was frequently interrupted due to me being in the aisle seat.

Got up about 7pm and got ready ... mmmm first nice hot shower - we were grubby, sweaty, dirty and smelly (NOT GONNA LIE) from being on planes, in cars, and on the tube all day and carrying all our massive luggage.

We went down to Leicester Square for supper and had a lovely little Italian bite to eat ... yum! We also popped into the nightclub in our hostel - it was a bit dead but the DJ was really good and we had free drink vouchers! Yeh! We then wandered around Leicester Square, people watching - so many interesting people around here! Then we wandered thru China Town and back over to Covent Garden.

After all that walking (sore feet and legs now!) we headed back into the hostel, grabbed a nightcap and bought some internet minutes so we could write home to all of you guys!!

Going to head to bed now - big day tomorrow. We HAVE to get UK cell phones and we HAVE to find a home - our hostel's nice but is literally a 4x4 square with NO room. I am, again literally, sleeping WITH my suitcase IN my bed with me tonight to save on space. Welcome to Europe! Haha.

Miss and love all of you back home! Thanks for reading - post comments so I know how you are!

xo Megs

PS) Check for pics on Facebook!

3 comments:

  1. Kara here! That is so exciting! I am going to live vicariously through you as i doubt my life shall ever bring anything that exciting my way. Go you! Hope you can find a nice place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, glad you're having an awesome time, hope it only get's better. I too shall be living vicariously through your blog because I am poor :(. Someday I will win the lottery & go everywhere!! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo glad your having an awesome time!! I am soo jealous..so now, I really CAN'T wait to come visit!!!!!

    ReplyDelete