Sunday, November 1, 2009

C'est l'Halloween, C'est l'Halloween ... HEY!

Howdy-ho everyone!
Hope you had a spook tacular Halloween! Here's my story ... I don't usually enjoy Halloween. I was SUPPOSED to be born on Halloween, but being typical me, I came a few days later. Five to be exact. So, my birthday parties are ALWAYS the weekend AFTER Halloween. Unfortunately, the majority of people are still recovering physically and financially from Halloween so no one ever wants to come and hang with me on my b-day. This year, I couldn't really care about my birthday - Crystal and I are having a joint party and making it our housewarming party as well next weekend so I already know I'm gonna have a good time. This year, we put together some crazy outfits and lived it up, London style to celebrate our last taste of the half term break. Wow. It was AMAZING! Such a good night!

We bought Canadian flags and made various costumes from them. I turned mine into a dress with some leggings. I fashioned a belt out of some random fur that Crystal cut off a Santa skirt for her costume, and Crystal made me a 'Miss Canada' sash out of a pillow case (Sorry, Sandra! Haha) We pouffed up our hair, put on red eye shadow and entirely too much liquid black eyeliner, some red jewlerry and my 'Miss Canada' costume was complete. Crystal dressed up as the well-known super hero 'Captain Canada' and Marlee dressed as her sidekick, 'Maple Leaf.' WE WERE A HIT! Walking to the subway, cars were honking and people were cheering and waving - it was great. The thing is, England isn't nearly as crazy about Halloween as we are. It's not really a big deal. So, we looked pretty bizarre in our little neighbourhood. So, I convinced the kids we needed to go to ... CAMDEN! (My favourite part of London)

We first went down to Goodge Street to gather up some other Canadians we had met the night before at a 'Canadian Get Together' at the Canadian Pub (I had a poutine and a pint of Coors - delicious!) We saw their flats that were like cute little dorm rooms and then we wandered down to the Tube. Coming out of the tube stop in Camden, we knew we were in the right place. There were people in ridiculous costumes EVERYWHERE!
We went to the pub 'The World's End' and eventually wandered down into its basement club, the Underworld. I've gone to the Underworld before with Niki and Andy, so I knew it would be fun. The not fun part was waiting in line for a drink for about 20 minutes. Total fun-sucker. But the DJ was great, so we danced and chatted up new friends. I met about 20 NBF's which is always a good time. Haha.

Hmmm what else to tell. I wound up not doing ANY travels this week ... I actually got a bad cold and my sinuses were MESSED. I felt like crap and still am not 100%. I did, however, go to the Phoenix show with Steve on Wednesday and it was AMAZING. Totally blew my mind. I was so impressed! Best lighting I've ever seen for a concert of that level. Just incredible. On Thursday, I went and did an adventure on my lonesome and went to see the musical Chicago. It was so good and I really enjoyed it. I hate doing things alone but I put on my big girl pants and it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Haha.

We were supposed to get our internet set up in our house on Friday but the dude called in sick so we still have no internet. Every person who has sat beside me in this internet cafe has felt the need to befriend me which is really irritating when you're trying to post a freakin' blog. Haha. I'm becoming a total Londoner ... don't talk to strangers. Just be a bag and keep to yourself. Haha. You learn this rule quickly in this city. I would always try to talk to randoms on the trains, etc. but they just ignore you if they can in any way. The last guy who sat beside me just told me that he tried out for Britain's Got Talent today ... he finds out in February if he made it. So, if you hear any news about 'Dwayne Duncan' ... that's my new internet café friend. He's the one I didn't MIND talking to cos his story was actually interesting! The old creepy dude who asked if I'd teach him about computers at his house ... not so much.

I booked my flight home for Christmas the other night. I'm pretty excited by that. I can't believe how calm I am about flying now. I'd normally be having panick attacks about this. I'm going to take an emtpy suitcase home and bring it back full of Kraft Dinner, Cheeze Whiz, Salsa, Clinique skincare, and licorice. Haha. I'll be home for two weeks and will make it back just in time to head to Paris for New Year's Eve. Yeh! Can't wait to see the family.

Anyways, I think I'll head out for now. Back to the daily grind tomorrow! Hope everyone is doing well. See some of you at Christmas!

xo Megs

5 comments:

  1. You are not missing q-tips Meg? I heard they are lacking those there!
    Cute Costumes :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah we found some at the 'Poundstretcher' (aka the Dollarama) haha in the baby section so we were pretty happy about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meaghan,
    Just finished reading your blogs. They are good! I like reading how your days are at school. Being a EA (TA), I felt for you in the school in the rough neighborhood. Can't believe the TA was a dip. hehe
    (in case you haven't figured out who this is - your Mom's cousin, Barb)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Barb! Thanks for reading! Glad you're enjoying it! Yep, teaching here is TOTALLY different!!! But I love it!

    ReplyDelete