Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'm livin' for the weekend and working for the cash machine ...

Heya everyone,
I know, I know. I'm terrible. We FINALLY just got internet in our house on Saturday night, however. So it's really not my fault. I couldn't be arsed to sit in an internet cafe next to a bunch of creeps writing about my life. So yeh ... hmmm .. where should I start?

I think I finished with Halloween ... but what I forgot to mention about Halloween were our trick or treaters! We didn't really prepare for Halloween cos we weren't planning on being here. However, as were about to walk out the door, I opened it to a massive group of 7 or 8 trick or treaters. WTF were we gonna do?! Luckily, I little lunch snack things that are like kit kats. We handed those out, but we were already in our costumes and these trick or treaters were with their dads. Their dads were WAY too interested in us being Canadian and asked if they could come back for beers later that night? The morals of this country astound me.

I worked a lot last week, which was great. I worked 4 out of 5 days which isn't AMAZING but honestly, makes for a nice week. It gave me a week day to get my banking done and pay my bills which I desperately needed to do. None of the schools reallllly stand out in my mind - I think they were all pretty good. I actually forget most of them already. HAHA. On Friday, I taught in a school in Camden. Camden is my FAVOURITE neighbourhood in London. I just absolutely love it. I love our little house and I think my roomates are rad, but I think when they move back home for the summer next year, I'm going to go and look for a place in Camden. It just doesn't feel like we live IN the city by living so far out of central London. Our neighbourhood is GORGEOUS, as is our house, but the commute is really getting to me. Between walking for 15-30 minutes, taking a bus, and riding the tube for at LEAST an hour every day, my commute typically takes me 2 hours each way. I'm losing 1/6 of my day by travelling. I worked my butt off in that school on Friday and did my best to impress because it would be great to get a job in Camden!!

My birthday was on Thursday, which is Guy Fawkes' Day here in London, also known as Bonfire Night. I've been waiting to have my birthday in London for about 3 years, ever since I first heard of Bonfire Night. Those who know me well, know that I like to celebrate my b-day in style. I love b-days! This year, not so much. The day started off really cute ... I came down for breakfast in the morning to discover that my flatmates had snuck downstairs at 5h30 am to decorate our house for my birthday! That was so nice and SUCH a good start to the day - thanks so much girls - I loved that!! I got called into work, and off I went. I was going to come home and change and then go out for dinner but, with the commute, it just didn't make sense. So, I headed straight down to Clapham Common, which is where they were having a massive free fireworks display. I got to Clapham and waited to hear back from people about coming for supper. As it turned out, no one could come for supper. I said I was going to make my blog honest, and not to glam it out. Well, lemme tell you, there's nothing glam about eating chinese take away by yourself on a bus stop bench. It was definately a lonely feeling but it gave me the push I need to get cracking and go and make some friends!! I had a chat with most of my family that night and I had cards from my family and my auntie's family to open which was really nice. The fireworks themselves were AMAZING. I was so impressed. It was great. Almost got a bit teary watching them as I'd waited for that moment for SO long and it was one of those "OMG! I'm actually here!" moments. So great.

Friday night was spent housecleaning like a mad woman. I scrubbed and scrubbed. We still don't have a vaccuum ... our landlord says it's coming but it's been a month and our carpet is scary. Everything gets dusty so fast so yes, I scrubbed away. Saturday, Niki came into London and she was so lovely, she took me for a proper grocery shop in her car. I stocked up on EVERYTHING. It cost me nearly 100 pounds, but I don't need to get groceries for AGES now. So happy. Thank you, Niki! After that, we finally got our internet/cable/landline phone set up. We don't have an actual PHONE yet tho, so we'll keep you posted on that number!!!

Saturday night was our housewarming party as well as my flatmate Crystal and mine's birthday parties. Gongshow. I think we started partaking in beverages much too early. The theme was 'ugly mug' party so everyone had to find a hideous/ridiculous/funny cup and bring it as their drinking cup. We got some amazing finds for sure!!! Nice work people! We had a really good turnout, met some new people, and saw some hilarious drinking cups. We had a really great time and I was so happy that my friends Niki and Andy came into London from outta town just to come to our party - that was great!!

Sunday was spent recovering from Saturday night - I was not a happy camper and spent most of my time curled up in bed with my laptop. Haha.

Well, it's Monday now and I'm waiting for the phone to ring to get called into work. Crystal and I feel mutually that today would be an okay day to not get called in, but ... Murphy's Law. Haha So we'll see.

I hope everyone is doing well. Missing you all back home like mad!

xo Megs

No comments:

Post a Comment